School Chef ad
In School Chef/Catering Manager Required
Scale: Scale F
Hours: 37 hours per week term time (39 weeks) plus one week contract paid pro rata
Our current chef has created a farm to fork experience for the children and families at Lakenham over the last year. She has done a fantastic job to significantly improve the quality of lunches and the ground work for menus. The next step is developing a kitchen garden and want a forward-thinking catering manager to use what we grow and continue to source food as locally as possible.
You will need to be able to liaise with the school gardener, or take on the role of school gardener (as an extra whole year-round contract) regarding what is to be grown and then use this to support the seasonal in school menu that exceeds the Food Standards. We are aiming to be a Food for Life Gold school; would you like to come on this journey with us?
- Are you someone who has successfully managed a restaurant or been an experienced Catering Manager within a school?
- Are you a good team worker and team leader, able to multi-task and take on various activities in a busy school kitchen?
- Are you someone who thinks outside of the box and could eventually provide in school and a home food option?
- Catering for in school events and professional development days
- Would you like to help support teachers to teach young pupils about the benefits of healthy eating and nutrition?
- Would be interested in potentially running after school cooking clubs (overtime paid for this)
If you answered yes to these questions then please get in touch.
We are looking to recruit a School Catering Manager, starting as soon as possible. Applicants should have previous proven experience of managing a high volume, quality commercial kitchen operation. This does not have to be in schools but could be in hotels, restaurants, busy cafe, event catering and so on, however school experience is an advantage.
Responsibilities will include (but this is by no means an exhaustive list):
- Providing the day to day catering function for the school within budget
- Ordering and maintenance of stock, both food items and kitchen equipment
- Menu development, achieving excellent nutritional food options, catering for food allergies and intolerances, and reflecting the diversity in nationalities across the school
- Ensuring that the highest standards of customer care and food hygiene are upheld
- People management of kitchen staff, including all training and development
- Classroom delivery on nutrition and the importance of healthy food choices to the pupils
- All related administration duties
- CGLI 706/1 & 2 or NVQ2 Professional Cookery qualification desirable
- Level 2 accredited Food Safety certificate and Level 3 accredited hygiene certificate
- Proven experience of managing a high volume quality commercial kitchen operation
- Experience of leadership or staff supervision in a kitchen environment
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
- The ability to offer great customer service to all parties involved in and utilising the catering function
- Someone who has joy in their life and is able to share that with others.
Lakenham Primary is a forward-thinking school, which has school staff who are outward looking, child centred and willing to try out new ideas. The school is a larger than average, two form entry Foundation school with up to 480 pupils on roll. It is situated in Norwich city, in an area of significant socio-economic contrasts, including a high level of mobility. We believe if we can get the children healthy and fed well, they are ready to learn and thrive. Do you think you could be part of this exciting journey?
If you are interested in this position and would like further information please discuss with Mrs Cassandra Williams, Headteacher or Mrs Sarah Swift, Business Manager. Visits are welcome either virtual or in person.
Interested applicants should complete an NCC application form and send to email@example.com No CV’s will be considered.
Our school is strongly committed to the safeguarding of children and equality of opportunity. Any applicant must expect to comply fully with enhanced DBS checks. This post is likely to come under the requirements of the Childcare (Disqualification) 2009 Regulations and the successful applicant will be required to complete a declaration form to establish whether they are disqualified under these regulations.
Closing date for applications: 9th March, 2022
Interviews: 14th March, 2022