Lakenham Primary School Access Plan
1. This Accessibility Plan has been drawn up in consultation with Norfolk County Council, pupils, parents, staff and governors of the school and covers the period from December January 2014 - 2017
2. At the Lakenham Primary School, we are committed to providing a fully accessible environment which values and includes all pupils, staff, parents and visitors regardless of their education, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs. We are further committed to challenging attitudes about disability and accessibility and to developing a culture of awareness, tolerance and inclusion.
3. Lakenham Primary School plans, over time, to increase the accessibility of provision for all pupils, staff and visitors to the school. The following areas will form the basis of the Accessibility Plan with relevant actions to:
- Increase access to the curriculum, incorporating after-school and out of school activities and including educational visits;
- Improve access to the physical environment of the school;
- Improve the delivery of written information to pupils, staff, parents and visitors with disabilities.
4. Attached are three Action Plans, relating to these three key aspects of accessibility. These plans will be reviewed and adjusted on an annual basis. New Plans will be drawn up for the following three-year period.
5. It is acknowledged that there will be need for ongoing awareness raising and training for all staff and governors in the matter of disability discrimination and the potential need to inform attitudes on this matter.
6. This Accessibility Plan should be read in conjunction with the following policies, strategies and documents:
- Equal Opportunities and Diversity
- Health & Safety
- Special Needs
- Behaviour Management
- School Improvement Plan
- Asset Management Plan
- School Brochure and Mission Statement
- Teaching and Learning File
- Off-site Safety
7. As curriculum policies are reviewed, a section relating to access will be added to that on Equality and Diversity. The terms of reference for all governors committees will contain an item on “having regard to matters relating to Access”. The School Brochure and the Governors Annual report to Parents will make reference to this Accessibility Plan.
8. The school will work in partnership with Norfolk County Council in developing and implementing this plan.
9. The Plan will be monitored through the Conditions for Learning Committee of the Governors.
Lakenham Primary School
Accessibility Plan 2014 - 2017
At Lakenham Primary School, we are committed to providing a fully accessible environment which values and includes all pupils, staff, parents and visitors regardless of their education, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs. We are further committed to challenging attitudes about disability and accessibility and developing a culture of awareness, tolerance and inclusion.
The school is committed to working in partnership with the Norfolk County Council, in developing and implementing its access plan
Improving the Physical Access at Lakenham Primary School
The school is a new build and currently is fully compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act and Access requirements. Ensuring that the building continues to meet accessibility requirements is the responsibility of Kier Managed Services. The school will always endeavour to make the necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all pupils and will constantly review the organisation, management and access to all spaces in and around the school.
Improving the Curriculum Access at Lakenham Primary School
|Training for teachers on the new national curriculum and review of implementation||Undertake an audit of staff training requirements||All teachers are able to more fully meet the requirements of disabled children’s needs with regards to accessing the curriculum||April -2014 – April 2015||Increase in access to the National Curriculum|
|Review of planning to ensure all children are challenged and able to make good progress||Planning and delivery of the curriculum to be monitored and reviewed with all staff via planning meetings in phases||Children will be able to access the curriculum at their level and will as a result of teachers effectively matching task to child – make progress||Ongoing||Improved access to the curriculum, improved levels of progress. Reduction in numbers of pupils identified as having SEN|
|All out-of-school activities are planned to ensure the participation of the whole range of pupils||Review all out-of-school provision to ensure compliance with legislation||All out-of-school activities will be conducted in an inclusive environment with providers that comply with all current and future legislative requirements||September 2015||Increase in access to all school activities for all disabled pupils|
|Training for Awareness Raising of Disability Issues||Ongoing training for all staff on how to support SEND pupils and implementation of new EHCP||Whole school community||Ongoing||Community will benefit by a more inclusive school and social environment|
|Use of School2School support and development of links with Harford Manor Special School to enhance provision and training for staff and pupils||Weekly sessions for specific children. Access to training and support for TAs working with children on the autistic spectrum||Improved provision for pupils with Autism and access to additional and specialist provision||Ongoing||Children will benefit from enhanced provision|
Lakenham Primary School
Improving the Delivery of Written Information at Lakenham Primary School
|Ensure Web-site is compliant with national requirements and is up to date and relevant||Audit of school web-site and termly review of documentation||The school web-site will be fully compliant with national requirements||Ongoing||Children and families will be able to access information relevant to the school and know our policies and procedures|
Download the plan here