As Geographers, children at Lakenham will seek to understand the distinctive human and physical features or characteristics of the places that make up the world; to better understand its people , places and environments and the interactions between them.
Our intent is that we will deliver a curriculum that is accessible to everyone and will maximise the outcomes for all children so that they leave Lakenham ready for the next stage in their learning. We teach a diverse curriculum, which ensures full coverage of the Early Years Framework and the National Curriculum and is carefully sequenced to build progression and knowledge as the child journeys through the school. Our curriculum is delivered through rich and varied learning experiences with opportunities for it to be adapted and tailored to meet the needs of the children at our school.
As a result, they will: -
- increase and develop their geographical skills, concepts and key knowledge as well as recognise natural and human geographical processes
- increase their understanding of local geography, geography of other parts of the UK and the wider world, enabling them to make comparisons
- develop and use their skills of geographical enquiry, analysis, evaluation and argument
- be able to use a variety of age-appropriate resources and technologies, e.g. books, globes, maps and atlases
- develop their interest in where they live and their connection to the wider world, arousing curiosity, open-mindedness and a motivation to learn
- develop their understanding of their role as citizens of the world
Click on the image below to see the journey of geography at Lakenham.