Vision, Values & Ethos
In September 2018, all staff and governors met to think about what they wanted for the children. Senior leaders then met three groups of parents, 80 in total about what they would want for their children. The three words that kept on coming through were the following, which have become the Vision for our school; the learners, staff, parents, community and visitors.
We want everyone at the school to:
"Enjoy, Aspire, Achieve"
Enjoy what they are doing at school in the classroom or in the outdoor environment, visits beyond the school and in different environments; but also during the school day or during break times. When children enjoy what they are doing they will try their absolute best to improve.
Aspire to be the best each individual they can be. We want children to aim higher than they ever thought they could aim, to make themselves and others proud of what they can do. To become the best possible person that they can be, academically, socially and morally.
Achieve the highest possible results for each child by understanding where they start and ensuring that a rigorous approach to learning and assessment is undertaken by all staff. The motto of “do our best, try our best and be our best” runs throughout everything the school community does.
The whole Lakenham community work together to create a happy and productive community, where we encourage a “Team Lakenham” spirit. Excellent behaviour and mutual respect are at the core of our aims and values between both the children, families and staff at the school. Lakenham Primary is a here everybody strives to provide the best opportunities for each child and everyone who enters our school.
The school rules of Ready, Respectful and Safe ensure that children can understand the value of self-worth and the importance that they place in the community being successful.
We believe that every young person should experience the world beyond the classroom as an essential part of learning and personal development, whatever their age, ability or circumstances. Where every possible the children enhance their learning by learning outside the classroom.
Together we are building a curriculum of vision, vitality and rigour
At Lakenham we shape our curriculum to inspire and create learners who are……
It is essential that children are equipped with the ability to adapt, recognise opportunities, make connections, communicate intuitively and collaborate effectively – both for the success of their education and for their life beyond.
At Lakenham we aim to be outstanding:
‘an outstanding curriculum is one that provides highly positive, memorable experiences and rich opportunities for high quality learning, has a positive impact on pupils’ behaviour and safety and contributes well to pupils’ achievements in their social, moral, spiritual and cultural development.
Aims of the school
- We are committed to ensuring that every pupil leaves our school with high aspirations and a determination to be the best possible version of themselves. We aim to teach key skills and knowledge using personalized and inspiring learning opportunities to engage, develop confidence to set and meet new challenges and to experience success through a curriculum that is inspirational and relevant.
- The staff team are central to the success of the school and each person has a valuable part to play in its development. Staff at Lakenham recognize their professional responsibility both collectively and individually. They are role models in learning and as such as activity seeking opportunities to further their own knowledge and skills.
- Our learning community is guided by leaders who communicate the purpose and direction of the school clearly through weekly newsletters, on the school website and through regular texts.
- We are committed to inclusion and are signatories to the Norwich Inclusion Charter, believing that every child has the right to succeed. We take ownership of the responsibility to ensure that any barriers to learning are overcome.
- Our core aim is that all children experience success and take with them the self-confidence and belief in themselves through experiences for life.
- Being a school with over 40 languages spoken at home, we have a very good understanding of respect and value the diversity of cultures within Britain and ensure that our children understand where they fit into the wider world.
- We see parents as partners and are committed to working with them to sustain a strong sense of community, raise children’s self-esteem, foster in them empathy with others, engender a sense of pride in the school and empower them to shape their own futures.
- We provide a safe, welcoming environment that enhances the learning opportunities, reflects the wider community and encourages all to take a pride in the school that they belong to and to enhance its image.